The Legend of Luke Kelly
About the event
The Legend Of Luke Kelly
Celebrating the memory and music of a true Irish musical legend.
On January 30th 1984 it is said that the whole of Ireland grieved the early death of Dubliner Luke Kelly. He has left an indelible mark as being the greatest folk artist of the 20th Century and his music is widely regarded as one of Ireland’s cultural treasures.
Dublin man & multi-instrumentalist Chris Kavanagh has been singing & playing music since he was three years old. His Grandmother instilled a love of folk music in him from this tender age, with bands such as The Dubliners & The Clancy Brothers played regularly in his childhood home.
Chris is well known for his passionate performances of folk singer Luke Kelly’s songs with his successful show. “The Legend of Luke Kelly”, but he is also an extremely skilled songwriter & composer. His 2011 album “Voice of the People” showcases his skills to perfection, and his musical arrangements around the songs, coupled with his exceptional singing talents bring a long-awaited freshness to the folk music scene.
In 2011, Chris was asked by the late Al O’Donnell to perform at one of his shows remembering Luke Kelly, and it was there that he met The Dubliners for the first time. On hearing Chris’s album, John Sheahan asked him to perform with The Dubliners on their German tour.
Chris received rave reviews in Germany, with the audience on their feet from the moment he sang his first song. He was then invited to perform with The Dubliners again on their 50th anniversary concert in Dublin’s Vicar Street which was released on Dvd. Chris performs a yearly concert to mark Luke Kelly’s anniversary in Vicar street with the regular attendance of John Sheahan & Luke’s family, as well as past special guests such as Damien Dempsey, Declan O’Rourke, Shay Healy & Christy Dignam. The January 2019 concert was particularly memorable, as President Michael D.Higgins and his wife Sabina attended.
Chris & his band have performed all over Ireland as well as abroad, in countries such as the UK, Germany, Denmark, Switzerland & Australia.
- “A beautiful blast from our beautiful past” – TODAY FM
- “You might find that you have to pinch yourself” – RTE
- “A Must !” – The Irish Times
- “Chris called his show “The Legend of Luke Kelly” and this famous member of The Dubliners can rest easy that his legacy is in safe hands.” – Shay Healy
- “We’re so Proud and delighted with the way Chris Kavanagh has honoured Luke’s music and memory with such dignity and respect.” – The Kelly Family
- Chris Kavanagh – Lead vocals / 5-string banjo / Guitar / Piano (Dublin)
- Joe Finn – Uilleann pipes / Whistles / Fiddle / Flute (Offaly)
- Gerry Tully – Guitar / Vocals (Meath)
- Hilary Kavanagh – Bass / Vocals (Dublin)